Saturday, January 4, 2014

Epiphany



This Sunday is Epiphany, a celebration of the coming of the Magi, the three kings, to worship the baby Jesus.  I think, well of course they came to worship Him!  After all, He was predicted by prophesies, astrological signs and born of a virgin.

Well isn't that a nice Monday morning quarterback version?  The Magi were wealthy, royal men from the far East, not Jews, who studied the signs FOR YEARS in an effort to find a personage of epic proportions.  They brought gifts of great value fit for a king.  They studied the stars and followed one a great distance.  What did they find?

They found a baby in a little backwater town born in a dirty cave to a young poor couple.  Did that deter them?  Nope, they laid down these expensive gifts on the dirty cave floor and worshiped a baby lying I'm an animal feed bin.  Talk about counter-cultural!

Why are we surprised when Pope Francis serves juvenile delinquents in prison on Holy Thursday or kisses a horribly deformed man in a crowd of "normal" people?  He gets it.  Jesus can be found in the most unlikely places, even though I expect Him in the actions of the powerful.

My expectations are unrealistic.  I need to pay closer attention to all people, not just the rich, powerful or important.  I think I also to keep my eye on that guy who, like the Magi, "gets it". 

Epiphany isn't about the rich guys who showed up in Bethlehem, it's about the poor newborn baby they found.

CC

No comments:

Post a Comment