Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Robbing My Peace

I'm a political person.  No, that doesn't mean I am necessarily interested in "politics," although most of the time I find that interesting too.  What I do enjoy is the study and discussion of government policy.  Some might say my "discussion" is actually closer to a "debate."

There are many things wrong in the world today.  Some are very serious moral and ethical issues.  I am passionate about a number of them and am frustrated with the way American society and government has chosen to deal with these issues.  (I am intentionally keeping this vague because the purpose of this post is not to discuss those issues.)  Because of my passion, sometimes I get very animated and frustrated by issues.  They can make me angry, scared and even hopeless about the world.  My feelings can be so strong as to ruin my day and spill over into my relationships, neither of which is very productive.

Recently I heard a wise woman say that it was OK to be passionate about an issue.  It might even be imperative to speak out or otherwise try to improve the situation through social or political change.  But, she said, do not become angry.  Don't let it ruin your mood or feelings.  Don't carry it around like a stone.

Don't let it rob your peace.



Since I heard these words, I have given them a lot of thought.  I do get upset over things that are horribly wrong in our society.  I think we are headed into some dangerous waters that will continue to erode our moral fabric.  I want to turn the tide, to fix the problem.  I can't do it alone and I have to face that fact.  I need to keep my joy and my peace because this world is not my home.  Jesus tells me:

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.
John 14:27

It's all there in black and white.  My peace comes from God and I will not give it up for any reason.  It's not the peace I get from the world.  While I am called to speak the truth and not ignore evil, I cannot fear it or let it rob me of this precious gift of peace that Jesus gives me.

cc

No comments:

Post a Comment